It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:29 pm

Help Needed with 9700 Midi2CV8 to control Moog Synths 

Post Re: Help Needed with 9700 Midi2CV8 to control Moog Synths
Hello again,

I just wanted to say that I finally had a chance to make the necessary cables to use my MIDI2CV8 with my Moog synths...it's working excellent!! Thanks so much for your help!!!

2 things came up in the process that I would like to understand better:

First, when using the midi2cv8 pitch CV out (#1) to control pitch on my Moog Taurus II/Moog Rogue, it works great just using a 1/8" TRS to 1/4" TRS. The Moog manual states to use a cable that uses the Tip from the controlling source (midi2cv8), to the Ring of the Moog input (Taurus/Rogue) but my TRS to TRS seems to work fine. Why is this? Essentially, the tip at the midi2cv8 never reaches the ring at the Moog but it still works? Just curious about why it works and if I'm causing any undue stress on the midi2cv8?

Secondly, I successfully used the midi2cv8 to trigger my Minimoog via Cinch-Jones connector, but using pitch CV from the midi2cv8 with the Minimoog, the scaling was off. I tried re-starting the midi2cv8 with the low note being an F since that's the low note on the Minimoog, but it didn't seem to help. Any input or pointers on how to make the scale correct when using the midi2cv8 with the Minimoog? Do I have to re-scale the Minimoog?

Thanks again for your time and help!

Nathan

Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:13 am

Post Re: Help Needed with 9700 Midi2CV8 to control Moog Synths
Not sure why the triggering is working as you describe (gate to s-trigger and o.c. transistor to v-trigger) unless maybe the wiring of the connector on the Moog was changed, or, one or the other plug is not engaging as expected.

Check out this PT topic related to the way one type of plug doesn't work as would be expected when used in the 9710 VCA A input.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=682

This CV Modifier circuit can be constructed and used to offset or shift the MIDI2CV8's Pitch CV Output up or down, working to align or transpose the pitch produced by the Moog for notes played into the MIDI2CV8.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=56&p=58#p58

It should be possible to adjust the panel pitch control of the VCO(s) on the P9700S to match the pitch produced by the Moog under control of the MIDI2CV8, or, if it is the pitch of the instrument being used as the controller connected to MIDI2CV8's input that needs to match, you might have a Transpose adjustment on it which would work to shift its pitch.

If it is the scaling of the Pitch CV (1V/octave) that is not producing the proper spread in pitch for octave spaced notes produced by the Moog, the CV Modifier circuit can be used to expand or compress the pitch CV change per octave.

Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:18 pm