It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:50 am

PAIA Phlanger - Troubleshooting Tips 

Post Re: PAIA Phlanger - Troubleshooting Tips
Having been inspired by the design of ARP and Oberheim synths and their 'flip tops' (such as that of the ARP Odyssey, in which the top panel was hinged at the rear, allowing easier access to the insides)...
I am thinking about mounting the circuit board in my PAIA Phlanger up on spacers (in addition to the wooden side panel), so that, when I disassemble it, the circuit board will stay put, etc. To further enhance/complicate this idea, I was thinking of making the two spacers at the rear (transformer side) of the circuit board to be hinged standoffs, while the standoffs at the front could have thumbscrews to make any 'flip ups' easier.
The only thing is that, I'm wondering if it would be better to use plastic spacers or clips of some kind to avoid the potential of tapping into the mains current portion of the circuit board?
Thanks for any ideas. :)

Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:02 pm

hello again.
Not sure why u want to do this exactly(?) The Phlanger's wooden sides are grooved for the pcb and rabbited for the top and bottom panels. This makes the panels and the pcb approximately the same width. The top and bottom steel panels, when screwed in place provide structual integrety for the unit. Standoffs do not need to be only in corners. You could put them anywhere, just avoid the pwr supply tracks. If you used spacers to attach the pcb to the bottom panel, you could remove bottom/pcb as a "module"(?) The Phlanger only has two adjustment pots, R5(bias) and R6(balance). Once it's calibrated, unit should never need adjustment. And, it's just 4 screws to get the top off if U do. Anyway....Happy Hallowoooooeeeen to all... 8-)

Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:32 pm

Back when these still came through here for service, we'd use a cloth towel to space the board, attached to the case pieces with line cord and connector wiring, from the case metal when powering the unit for trouble-shooting/testing. Be mindful of the mains voltage on the bottom of the board as contact with you or the case can be dangerous or damaging when the line cord is plugged into the wall outlet.

Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:44 pm