It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:18 pm

Question on the Paia 9700fr midi to cv 

Post Question on the Paia 9700fr midi to cv
Hello Paia users !!

I am new to this forum and glad to be part of it. :D

My question is the following:

I own a Paia 9700fr modular synth rack with the midi to cv module and I am unable to make the din sync option to work, even if I select the right jumper setting, no sync pulse is outputed.

I follow the instruction in the manual but it look like the manual available on the Paia web site is for the more recent version of the 9700s or 9700 frm but mine is 9700 fr.

Should I need to update firmware the version 2 ?

If so where I could get this eprom ?

thx

Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:25 am

Post Re: Question on the Paia 9700fr midi to cv
Hello.

If your MIDI2CV8 FracRak Module is very old, it could have the original version of firmware. Later was 2.0, and shortly after, 2.01. These later versions added features for specifying output according to MIDI Channel.

In the first (v1.0) the DIN Sync Mode was quite different. Only DIN Sync signals were converted for Outputs 1-3 (outputs 4-8 were inactive).

Output 1 -- 24 ppqn Clock.
Output 2 -- Reset pulse on Start.
Output 3 -- Run/Stop

And related to test modes, there were separate selections for exercising the outputs and MIDI input analysis -- modes 7 and 8.

MIDI2CV8 Operating Modes (v1.0)
http://www.paia.com/manuals/docs/MIDI2CV8_1.0.pdf

V2.0 added features to enable offsetting the MIDI Note Number to Pitch CV conversion so the MIDI Note Number corresponding to the lowest key on the controller/transmitter produced 0V Pitch CV (Low-Key Transpose), and, a selection of operating modes with conversion according to MIDI Channel. V2.1 added some memory to the one-voice allocation so a key-pressed and still held when another key was pressed and released was recalled and re-triggered.

MIDI2CV8 Operating Modes (v2.01)
http://www.paia.com/manuals/docs/midi2cv8-mds.pdf

So, be sure you are selecting the proper output, and, your MIDI controller/transmitter is sending MIDI messages for the timing clock, etc.

If you happen to be connecting a TR-606, these are different that other DIN Sync devices and are not compatible with the control from the MIDI2CV8.

For an upgrade of your firmware, send it to my attention: 3200 Teakwood Lane, Edmond OK 73013. Put it in some of the black conductive foam from the original kit package, or, in a piece of foam covered in foil, so the pins don't get bent and it's protected from static discharge. Use a small box for the return so it doesn't get crushed or its pins bent. Or, the url below is to purchase one for $10 without the trouble of the return.

V2.01 upgrade/replacement part
https://www.paia.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MIDI2CV8_v2.01

Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:28 pm

Thank you for the information Scott

Its weird becsuse on my oscilloscope, on output 1 I have a short pulse when I start my DAW and on the output 2 I have a constant pulse ( It looks like the 24 ppq )

So if I understand, the mid2cv will not work for my Roland TR 606?

Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:46 am

The clocking should be on the first output. I dug up a v1.0 and did some testing and see this, but ran into some unexpected results such as the clocking hanging up when increasing the tempo from a slow range and sometimes the MIDI input indicator flashing as if it were in the Chan/Status Test mode.

2.0/2.1 appeared back in '97 and records from then aren't as readily accessible as when a "search" button can be pressed so I don't have a good answer as to what might be going on with the DIN Sync mode in v1.0. It could have been an oversight with the version update including a fix.

Below is a page with a couple of versions of circuits that can be built and spliced into the clock line going to a '606 so it "sees" the clock pulses.

http://www.paia.com/manuals/docs/606infc.pdf

Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:00 pm

This is great info Scott !!!

I will investigate that.

Thanks alot

I will keep you post if I have other questions

Cheers :lol:

Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:46 am